NMHIMA offers numerous continuing education offerings through face-to-face meetings, live webinars, as well as on-demand (recorded) events.
AHIMA Certification Information and Recertification Resources
Congratulations on earning your AHIMA professional credential! You’ve marked yourself as a leader and HIIM expert and shown your support for the healthcare profession. But there’s more to certification than that. Ongoing value to your profession and employer is achieved through the continuation of your personal education, allowing you to maintain your expertise and contribute at the highest levels. Health informatics and information management (HIIM) is a constantly evolving field, and professionals in this field require the most current knowledge to move the profession forward.
The AHIMA Commission on Certification, CCHIIM, recertification (maintenance of an AHIMA certification) program ensures that CCHIIM-certified professionals demonstrate ongoing competence in the domain areas in which they are certified through either maintenance or enhancement activities.
The AHIMA Recertification Guide is located on the AHIMA website. The link is provided for your convenience.
CEU Requirements for Single Credential
|If You Have A
|You Must Earn
|Certified Coding Associate (CCA)
|Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
|Certified Coding Specialist—Physician-based (CCS-P)
|Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
|Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
|Certified Health Data Analyst (CHDA)
|Certified in Healthcare Privacy and Security (CHPS)
|Certified Documentation Improvement Practitioner (CDIP)
CEU Requirements for Multiple Credentials are listed on page 4 of the Recertification guide.
The HIIM profession encompasses services in planning, collecting, aggregating, analyzing, and disseminating individual patient and aggregate clinical data. It serves the following healthcare stakeholders: patients, providers, patient care organizations, research and policy agencies, payers, and other healthcare-related entities.
Eighty (80) percent of all CEUs must be earned within the HIIM Domain, which is divided into the domain areas below. Detailed information for each domain area is found in the Recertification Guide on pages 16-19.
- Domain I. Data Structure, Content, and Information Governance
- Domain II. Information Protection: Access, Disclosure, Archival, Privacy, and Security
- Domain III. Informatics, Analytics, and Data Use
- Domain IV. Revenue Cycle Management
- Domain V. Health Law and Compliance
- Domain VI. Organizational Management and Leadership
- Domain VII. Clinical Foundations
- Domain VIII: Evolving Topics/Other HIIM Relevant Topics
Twenty (20) percent of CEUs can be earned from continuing education activities not related to HIIM domains. The remaining twenty (20) percent can include participation in continuing education activities on topics not included in the HIIM domains but relevant to the credential holder’s professional position.
AHIMA-Approved Continuing Education Programs
CEUs can be earned by:
- attending an AHIMA event
- completing an AHIMA online education program
- completing an AHIMA Journal quiz
- completing AHIMA e-assessments, as well as other accepted AHIMA activities.
- AHIMA members can view organizations that offer program(s) that have been approved for AHIMA CEUs by logging into your MyAHIMA account and, go to Certified Education Providers, then selecting Search Provider to view program offers.
- attending a CA event
- participating in an on-demand education event via the nmhima.org website, e-LearningConnex.
Information from AHIMA Recertification Guide and the Certifications & Careers Recertify page on AHIMA.org.